THE ORTHODOX PILGRIMAGE IN THE MODERN GLOBAL WORLD
The article deals with the transformation of the Orthodox pilgrimage tradition in the global information society. The new civilizational factors such as the formalization of the virtual space, the development of informative forms of activity (for example, tourism), the formation of a new type of religiousness (new or postmodern), etc. lead to radical changes in religious practices and ritual activities.
In the contemporary society pilgrimageis considered through religious tourism along with excursional tourism of religious topics. This equalization of pilgrimage with an ordinary tourism product completely transforms the perception of a pilgrimage tradition by a modern person. The authors of the article address the phenomenon of the Russian Orthodox pilgrimage as it is traditionally considered in the context of the phenomenon of wandering (together with foolishness and monasticism), that is viewed by believers in the context of the messianic Russian idea. The authors analyze in detail the processes of the desacralization of the Orthodox pilgrimage tradition and the formation of new types of religious journeys (spiritual pilgrimage, secular pilgrimage, mystical tourism, esoteric tourism). The authors also suggest using the term «religious and simulation tourism», which allows to classify a significant part of trips with pseudo-religious, esoteric and even business purposes and to distinguish them from classical pilgrimage.
Keywords: Pilgrimage, religious tourism, Orthodox Christianity, esoteric tourism, new religiousness
Articles by this author
- RESEARCH OF THE CULTURE OF CONSUMPTION OF BAKERY PRODUCTS OF FUTURE SPECIALISTS OF THE AGRO-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION WITH THE PURPOSE OF FORMING DIRECTIONS OF EDUCATIONAL AND RESEARCH ACTIVITY
- ROCK NARRATIVES AS EDUCATIONAL SPACE. THE RESEARCH REPORT
- SOCIO-PEDAGOGICAL WORK WITH INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS IN UKRAINE: RESPONSE TO THE CHALLENGES OF OUR TIME
- SOFT COMPETENCES AS MEASUREMENT FOR E-LEARNING EFFECTIVENESS
- SOMATIC AND MOTOR PARAMETERS OF 9-10 YEARS OLD CHILDREN