COMMUNICATING AN UNFAVOURABLE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS OF A CHILD AND THE IMPACT ON THE QUALITY OF LIFE OF CAREGIVERS
In the Czech Republic, the report / diagnostic conclusion of doctors on a severe illness or disability of their child is reported annually to several thousands of parents of minors. This issue, i.e. communicating the so-called Bad Breaking News, has been given more attention in recent years. The paper brings partial results from an extensive research to evaluate the process of communicating unfavourable health reports from the point of view of respondents – parents of a child’s patient. The survey was conducted in 2017 with the participation of 1062 respondents (including 929 mothers and 112 fathers) of pediatric patients. Quantitative online survey has used a questionnaire of its own design which was filled in by the parents of children who were experiencing the BBN process.
The aim of the study was to identify, analyze and interpret the experience, attitudes and preferences of parents (legal representatives) with the quality of the preparatory phase of the process of communicating BBN to their child (in accordance with the methodical recommendation - SPIKES model). Results describing the expressed experience of the whole set of parents (or other persons) show a very good doctor’s readiness, quality coordination and preparation of environment, as well as kindness and effort of doctors communicating adverse reports and prognostic conclusions for the child. It is possible to state the implementation of effective steps which are in full reflection of the introductory components of each SPIKES model recommendation.
Keywords: health care, diagnosis, caregivers, unfavourable health report, quality of life
Articles by this author
- RESEARCH OF THE CULTURE OF CONSUMPTION OF BAKERY PRODUCTS OF FUTURE SPECIALISTS OF THE AGRO-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION WITH THE PURPOSE OF FORMING DIRECTIONS OF EDUCATIONAL AND RESEARCH ACTIVITY
- ROCK NARRATIVES AS EDUCATIONAL SPACE. THE RESEARCH REPORT
- SOCIO-PEDAGOGICAL WORK WITH INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS IN UKRAINE: RESPONSE TO THE CHALLENGES OF OUR TIME
- SOFT COMPETENCES AS MEASUREMENT FOR E-LEARNING EFFECTIVENESS
- SOMATIC AND MOTOR PARAMETERS OF 9-10 YEARS OLD CHILDREN