THE HISTORY OF COPYING THE FRESCOES FROM VELIKY NOVGOROD IN THE PRE-REVOLUTIONARY PERIOD
In the museums of Moscow, St Petersburg and Veliky Novgorod we can find the best collections of fresco copies from the churches of Veliky Novgorod made at different times by experts from copying workshops of ancient Russian painting. Copies of the frescoes made in the temples before their loss, give an idea about the initial system of such ensembles as the paintings in the Saviour Church on Nereditsa, the Transfiguration Church in Kovalyovo, the Assumption Church in Volotovo.
In this research we will focus on the history of copying the ensemble of paintings of the Church of the Transfiguration on Nereditsa in Veliky Novgorod.
The Church of the Transfiguration of Our Saviour on Nereditsa Hill is one of the most famous monuments of ancient Russian culture. The church was built by Prince Yaroslav Vladimirovich’s order in 1198 and a year later, in 1199, its interior was decorated with fresco paintings. Exceptional art value, unusual unique iconography of the monument have earned it a worldwide fame.
Like the Saint Sophia Cathedral, representing the XI century, and the St. George Cathedral of the St. George’s Monastery, representing the early XII century, the Church on Nereditsa Hill is considered to be a typological and stylistic architectural standard of the late XII century.
Keywords: ancient Russian art, frescoes, painted copies, restoration, preservation of cultural heritage.
Articles by this author
- RESEARCH OF THE CULTURE OF CONSUMPTION OF BAKERY PRODUCTS OF FUTURE SPECIALISTS OF THE AGRO-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION WITH THE PURPOSE OF FORMING DIRECTIONS OF EDUCATIONAL AND RESEARCH ACTIVITY
- ROCK NARRATIVES AS EDUCATIONAL SPACE. THE RESEARCH REPORT
- SOCIO-PEDAGOGICAL WORK WITH INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS IN UKRAINE: RESPONSE TO THE CHALLENGES OF OUR TIME
- SOFT COMPETENCES AS MEASUREMENT FOR E-LEARNING EFFECTIVENESS
- SOMATIC AND MOTOR PARAMETERS OF 9-10 YEARS OLD CHILDREN