THE INFLUENCE OF PARENTHOOD ON THE RISK BEHAVIOUR OF YOUTH
Family as the primary socializing factor represents the space in which a child adopts the basic standards and rules of functioning in society. How successful he can be in the social environment is largely influenced by patterns of behaviour and their compatibility with corporate norms and behaviours.
The aim of our study was to find out how parenting influences the occurrence of risk behaviours in young people.
A quantitative research strategy has been chosen. The standardized Alabama Parenting Questionnaire (APQ), designed by Frick (1991), focuses on the measurement of parenting practices in five dimensions: parent engagement, positive parenthood, monitoring and surveillance, inconsistent discipline, and corporal punishment. The second questionnaire was of our own construction questionnaire aimed at detecting the occurrence of risk behaviours and demographic indicators. The research sample consisted of 335 respondents aged 14 to 19 years.
The analysis of the results has shown a connection between the risk behaviour of young people and the involvement of both the father and the mother. Research has also shown that inconsistent discipline, use of corporal punishment and parental supervision also have an impact on risk behaviours among young people.
Our findings show that parents can influence their behavioural risk in the behaviour of their children. Knowing and understanding the influence of parents on forming a young person and its behaviour is a prerequisite for successful education. Educational issues and risky behaviours are therefore one of the areas where intervention by helping professionals is focused.
Keywords: Family. Parenthood. Upbringing. Punishments. Rewards. Risky behaviour
Articles by this author
- RESEARCH OF THE CULTURE OF CONSUMPTION OF BAKERY PRODUCTS OF FUTURE SPECIALISTS OF THE AGRO-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION WITH THE PURPOSE OF FORMING DIRECTIONS OF EDUCATIONAL AND RESEARCH ACTIVITY
- ROCK NARRATIVES AS EDUCATIONAL SPACE. THE RESEARCH REPORT
- SOCIO-PEDAGOGICAL WORK WITH INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS IN UKRAINE: RESPONSE TO THE CHALLENGES OF OUR TIME
- SOFT COMPETENCES AS MEASUREMENT FOR E-LEARNING EFFECTIVENESS
- SOMATIC AND MOTOR PARAMETERS OF 9-10 YEARS OLD CHILDREN